question from wayback in time

Jonathan
There was a time where Rivers west was based in Oaks Park and would have an annual show. I have a boat, long stuck in my mind, and was hoping someone might recall.  It was owned by a mature gentleman and was unusual because it was a skiff, powered by a lawnmower engine, mounted amidships.

The motor was exposed and sounded like...well...a lawnmower engine, until he raised a brass tube about 6 feet high, and mounted on a hinge. This tube hinged toward the bow of the boat and when he pulled a line the tube (maybe 4 inches in diameter) swung upright into position and over the lawnmower muffler.

At the top of the tube was a hinged flapper valve. Instead of a steady loud whine, the sound changed to a slow, steady pocka, pocka, pocka. Like a small steam launch.

Anyone remember this boat and it's creative builder?

Jonathan