Reverse-Lapstrake

Charlie43
Sometimes --maybe even often-- if a build is being done more "by eye" than tightly constrained by molds and jigs, the hull shape takes on a mind of its own that might differ a bit (or a lot) from the lines of the drawings.

I've never found this to be a problem that couldn't be managed, and this time seems to be no different. My current build is a keel-planked, double-knuckled pram, intended to be built "filleted lapstrake", meaning, the lower edge of each plank lands to the outside of the one below it when the boat is viewed right-side up.

However, as I'm doing my dry-fits, it's pretty obvious that the easiest way to plank this hull is going to be 'conventional lapstrake' for the garboard stake and 'reverse-lapstake' for the sheer strake.  Reverse lapstrake is not common in "western countries". But in plenty of eastern countries, "folk builders" build that, and have done so for centuries. So, the technique is not unsound. It's merely "unconventional" to western eyes.

Re: Reverse-Lapstrake

MarkR
Interesting.  I want to see it!  Photos?  Tour?

Re: Reverse-Lapstrake

Charlie43
Mark,

I'll post photos if that's how I end up planking the upper strake. Right now, and for the past week, I've bogged myself down with market stuff. So, not much boat-building is happening. Also, some hours got eaten up thinking about the build of Bolger's Elegant Punt that John Ost is helping a member new to Rivers West get a start on.

I think EP is a very bad rowboat and not a very good sailboat. But it's a much-built boat that could be a good exercise for a first-time builder. So I'm going to keep myself on the fringes of the build. But I was able to show John how sloppy Bolger (and every designer) is about dimensioning parts. Not a one of them provides fair lines in their plans or tables of offsets. That can create problems, or not, depending on how one builds. But I prefer to fair at the drafting table, not on the building frame.

Charlie

Re: Reverse-Lapstrake

Charlie43
Mark,

Reversing planks laps will have to happen on another boat.

I filleted the garboards yesterday, pulled clamps this morning, and dry-fitted the sheer strakes.  It makes no sense --this time-- not to hang the planks conventionally.

Charlie