Pond Boats vs. Rough-Water Boats

Charlie43
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pond Boats vs. Rough-Water Boats

MarkR
Here's my two cents worth:  It's the classic boat discussion of "what's the intended use?"

I've never liked the pounding of a flat bottom boat.  But I've always used my boats on bigger water where things like weather and waves change quickly and the consequences can be severe.  A more seaworthy 'V' or round bottom hull shape will be dryer, safer and inspire more confidence with a weather change five miles from port.

The advantages of a flat bottom, especially for a fly fisherman on small water, is undeniable.  Light weight.  Simple construction.  Excellent initial stability.  In contrast, a 'V' or round hull shape will be much more tender, must have a more complex and therefore heavier structure, but you might be able to ride out those blustery days should you choose.

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pond Boats vs. Rough-Water Boats

MarkR
Pretty boat.  I'm (obviously) not as bothered by holding stuff together with wires 'till I glue it.  Really, the wires in S&G just replace very long clamps in clinker construction.  But I understand the hesitation.

It would be interesting to 'v' one of your prams, stretch it a little to 9' or even longer.  Could be a good performer.  But maybe not something you want to stand and cast from...