Overlapped Grips, Again

Charlie43
Hannu argues "The optimum inboard length ... depends on two concepts: Rower efficiency and comfort. Oar efficiency."  When grips are NOT overlapped, the second half of the pull stroke moves the end of the oar away from the rower's body.

He continues. "This [awkwardness and loss of power] can be overcome to at least some extent by overlapping the handles at the middle of the pull."

So what's an optimal amount of overlap?

Shaw & Tenney recommend a 2" overlap. Hannu guesses that  "... in recreational rowing ... 4" to 6" (10 cm to 15 cm) is optimal."  A 2" to 3" overlap works for me. But the exact amount is driven by the oarlock to oarlock distance --not the boat's beam, which is typically less-- and my targeted gearing ratio.

In the linked article, he also discusses sizing oars. https://hvartial.kapsi.fi/oarlength/oarlen.htm

https://www.shawandtenney.com/blog/how-properly-size-rowing-oars