Hanging the First Plank

Charlie43
My preference is to build 'Banks dory-style', which is 'right-side up', as shown in Gardner's book on dories. The other way is 'Swampcott-style', which is 'bottom up'.  Either method can be used for most boats whether they are built POF, clinker, carvel, or S&G. It just depends on which parts of the job you prefer to make easier for yourself.

Beginning to take shape is a 7'6”, flat-bottomed, double-chined, lapstrake skiff.  I used a female mold to determine rocker and a mid-frame to control plank spread. Once both planks are positioned and glued, I'll add the frames, 'wales, and risers, etc. and then turn the hull over to complete the bottom work.

Hopefully, I'll be doing the river trial by Xmas, because I need to start a boat suitable for a Rivers West event this Spring, which is rowing to Sand Island as the "shake down" for a longer row later in the summer to Astoria.

Re: Hanging the First Plank

Charlie43
Garboard strake now positioned and glued. Today's task is hanging the sheer strake.

Re: Hanging the First Plank

Charlie43
I filleted the sheer strake this morning and found myself hating the process. So building that way ceases immediately.

Somewhere in his writings, Culler argues that traditional lapstrake is the easiest, fastest way to build. For an experienced builder, that's true. I need to become one of them, which means I need to re-think my 2017 schedule of seven boats and choose more carefully which really matter enough to me to "build 'em right".