Boating with Grandkids

Charlie43
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boating with Grandkids

MarkR
No matter how the boat performed, those are three happy smiles!  Nice!

Re: Boating with Grandkids

Charlie43
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boating with Grandkids

MarkR
Hi Charlie,

Sorry you gave up on the forum, but I understand why you would.  I haven't yet.  I'll be doing a workshop on laminating frames in September and I plan to put a "More Info" post together for the workshop.  If they want that information, they'll have to go to the forums.

I was also disappointed to see your posts gone.  I had planned to use your oar-making information when I got to that point.

Anyway, take care and good luck on the boatbuilding.  You might consider offering one of your boats for display in the RW booth at the Portland Boat Show in January.  I plan to stay at home for that time in order to work that show and do some professional stuff that I've wanted to do for a couple of years.  Signing up as a volunteer is also a good way to attend the show free.

Happy Trails!

Mark

Re: Boating with Grandkids

Charlie43
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boating with Grandkids

MarkR
Thanks for the offer, Charlie.  When I get to the point of making oars, I'll be in touch.  As you say, there are really nice oars out there to purchase, but sometimes they do cost as much as my whole boat will cost.  I really like the oars from Grapeview Point Boat Works. http://www.grapeviewpointboatworks.com/order_oars.html   A friend of mine has a pair for his tender and they are a joy to use.  But I have no idea why.

Right now I'm concentrating on making the frame & stem for the Shellback and my demo in September.  I'm sure that I will see you around.  Cheers!

Re: Boating with Grandkids

Charlie43
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Boating with Grandkids

MarkR
Charlie,

That last paragraph made me laugh at myself.  That's exactly how I have justified so many of my tools!  And other things, come to think of it...

Your previous paragraphs were enlightening.  I need to study up just to have an informed and meaningful conversation.  The fly rod building analogy struck me.  Having built a few fly rods myself (a long time ago in another life - but I still have a few of them) I completely understand the concept of a personalized grip.  And balance.  Food for thought.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Mark